This tutorial will help you install the latest CM 14 Nightly builds for your 2013 LTE model of the Google Nexus 7 tablet. Check the whole post first before installing the new custom ROM.
The Nexus 7 2013 LTE tablets won’t get new Nougat OS official upgrade, but you can still count on the CyanogenMod team to provide Android 7.0 and 7.1 custom ROM builds for you to test on your device. If you are an advanced user and you are looking to upgrade your Nexus 7 2013 tablet to Nougat, then you will find all the steps you need below.
CyanogenMod 14.1 brings all the stock Nougat features for your Nexus 7 tablet, as well as tons of extra customization options that aren’t usually packed with the stock Android 7.0 ROM.
Before starting the installation process you have to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the 2013 LTE Google Nexus 7 tablets.
– do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your tablet has to be rooted and it should run the latest version of TWRP Custom Recovery.
– the installed custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest version, so that it supports the latest version of CM 14.1 Nougat ROMs.
- you have to enable the USB Debugging for your tablet from its Developer Options menu.
– if the Developer Options is hidden you have to go to Settings About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, find Developer Options and open it.
– find USB Debugging and enable it, too.
- in the how-to part of this post you can find two extra preparation steps like NANDROID ROM Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
– the NANDROID BACKUP creates a complete copy for the currently installed ROM and it can be used in case you end up bricking your device.
– the Factory Reset has to be applied in order to remove the old custom ROM completely, and to help your Nexus 7 device to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset doesn’t remove any data from internal storage of your device.
– if you do not apply these steps you cannot complete the CM 14.1 installation with success.
- if you wish to save any files from installed apps you can use the Helium app.
- check the entire tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- this is a guide that you have to use only if you are an advanced user.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 14.1 Nightly based on Android 7.1 for Google Nexus 7 2013 LTE:
- Download the Cm 14.1 Nightly custom ROM zip from here.
- Download the latest Gapps for Android 7.1 ROMs from here.
- After the downloads are done you can copy both zip files to your tablet’s internal storage.
– do not extract any data from the archives.
– disconnect the tablet from PC after all files are copied.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot your tablet in Custom TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID Backup file for the ROM that’s already installed.
Select the files you wish to save and confirm process.
- You can Factory Reset the device now. Select ‘Wipe’ option from TWRP Recovery menu.
Confirm process and continue to the next step when done.
- Start CM 14.1 Nightly installation process by tapping on the INSTALL button.
- Find and load the CM 14.1 Nightly zip file in TWRP.
Confirm installation and don’t press anything until the install process is done.
- After the custom ROM is flashed you can install the Gapps zip in the same way.
Reboot your phone in normal mode after the files are done installing successfully.
If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments. Also, if the installation fails you need to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once without skipping any steps.